What are the minimum entry standards?
Please read carefully as some criteria has changed.
To be eligible for consideration you must meet the following minimum residency, educational and other entry standards:
- Be at least 18 years of age and;
- Hold Australian or New Zealand Citizenship or Australian Permanent Residency (please note, Darwin applicants must be Australian Citizens) and;
- Have a current unrestricted full manual driver’s licence and the ability to gain a heavy rigid license at least four weeks’ prior to commencement and;
- Hold either a year 10 or Year 12 Certificate plus a minimum of two years full time equivalent experience (can be combination of paid work, volunteer work, professional or elite sports experience or representation)* or Bachelors/Masters
* Full-Time experience equals an average combined 38 hours working week over a twelve month period (any combination of paid work, volunteer work and/or sports representation) and should be able to be verified by details in application (CV and application) as well as through referees and any other verification that Airservices may wish to seek. Please also refer to FAQs which provide details on specific evidentiary requirements (for example, completion of schooling evidence) which must be provided as part of your application submission.
You will also be asked a number of questions in your application which we will consider in shortlisting throughout the recruitment process. This will include your experience and/or commitment to working shift work; in a safety-focused environment and as an aviation rescue fire fighter. You will also be required to attach a current CV or resume as part of your application.
Other requirements (during Recruitment)
If you are successful in progressing through the recruitment process you must also have:
1. Medical Clearance – You must obtain medical clearance prior to the Physical Aptitude Test (PAT). If you are successful in reaching this stage Airservices will provide necessary details and forms for completion by your medical practitioner.
2. Senior First Aid Certificate – (certified and current) must be provided at the date of assessment centre displaying one of the following course codes:
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid or
- HLTAID006 Provide Advanced First Aid
If at assessment centre you currently hold a higher qualification (paramedic, nursing), this may also be accepted upon production of a certified copy.
3. If you are applying for water rescue-equipped locations (see FAQs for specific locations and details), you must also hold a current water competency qualification (e.g. Bronze Medallion) or have the ability to undertake and pass an ARFFS water competency assessment prior to the assessment centre.
Other requirements (if Successful)
If you are successful in obtaining an offer of employment or are placed on our reserve list you will also be required to obtain the following (prior to commencement if not already provided):
1. In order for successful candidates to obtain their radio license (requirement of the role) you must also pass a ‘general English language proficiency test’, which requires certified documentary evidence of the following:
- Completion of secondary school education in Australia/NZ or other country in English medium
- Worked three of the last five years in Australia/NZ (proof of payment summaries required from employer as evidence)
While you do not require these at time of application, if you do not meet (and are not able to provide required evidence throughout the recruitment process) then your application is unable to be progressed any further.
2. Medical Check- You will be required to undergo a medical examination which is based on a CASA Class II (2) examination. Details will be provided with any conditional letter of offer. This is different to the Medical Clearance provided prior to the Physical Aptitude Test during recruitment.
3. Drug and Alcohol Screening – You will be required to undergo and satisfactorily pass drug and alcohol screening.
4. ASIC security check – You are required to be able to hold an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC) which includes a background check showing that you do not have any criminal convictions which may prevent employment with Airservices.
5. Heavy rigid licence – You are required to obtain (at your own expense) a heavy rigid licence at least one month prior to commencement of employment or at a date specified in any conditional letter of offer. Refer to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for more details including specific requirements.
6. Darwin candidates must be Australian citizens only. New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents will not be accepted at this location.