What are the minimum entry standards?
To be eligible for consideration you must meet the following minimum residency, educational and other entry standards:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must hold Australian or New Zealand Citizenship or Australian Permanent Residency (please note, Darwin applicants must be Australian Citizens).
To be eligible you must also possess as a minimum one of the following:
- Year 12 Certificate (full completion) OR
- Year 10 Certificate (full completion) plus a Trade Certificate.
Finally, to be eligible you must also hold:
- A current manual driver’s licence
- A Senior First Aid certificate or equivalent prior the assessment centre displaying one of the following course codes:
- HLTFA311A Apply First Aid or
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid or
- HLTFA412A Apply Advanced First Aid
If you currently possess an older certification (i.e. HLTFA301C Apply First Aid) this will not be accepted, even if is not yet expired. Certificates must have been obtained within the last three years and must not expire within the next 12 months (for more information, please see FAQs).
If you are applying for water rescue equipped locations, you must also hold a current water competency qualification (e.g. Bronze Medallion) or have the ability to undertake and pass an ARFF water competency assessment prior to commencement of the recruit course.
Security information for Darwin applicants
Aviation rescue fire fighters at Darwin station are now required to obtain and maintain a National Security Clearance at Baseline level, in addition to an Airside ASIC.
The security vetting process to obtain a National Security Clearance is conducted by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency. It is a requirement of this process that an applicant holds Australian Citizenship. As a result, those applying for Darwin station MUST be an Australian Citizen. Applicants who do not hold Australian Citizenship will not be accepted at this location.
As the clearance process can take a number of months, it is essential for Darwin applicants to familiarise themselves with the information they will need to provide if successful via the fact sheets found on the Department of Defence’s website.